Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> WotLK and Cata Content
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GM Fright
Officer

re: BWD: Nefarion and Onyxia

Official strat TBA...
discuss

Last edited by GM Fright on 02/20/2011 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

this is gonna be fun. reminds me of learning LK except probably worst.

Gonna do a write soon.. stay tuned..

Nefarion is pretty for a dead dragon.

Bananashroom wrote:
Nefarion is pretty for a dead dragon.

And soon he will be deader.

To burn a thousand trees
Bananashroom

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?73050-Nefarian

to me its a pretty straight forward fight. tanks/raid leader/curious people. i would like to direct you to read the comments. especially regarding the adds control, having nature resist, some healing suggestions. i would post them here but there's like a shit ton of wall of text that i believe is useful for better understanding of the certains roles/helps in this fight.

quick strat.
-3 phase fight.

-phase 1, kill ony while getting nef to 75% . avoid lightning from ony's side. lightning cackle hits for about 100k nature damage and is cast every 10% of his health..

-phase 2, get on your platforms quick, lava increase buff on you. Interrupt the adds on the platform. 6secs cast time. nef will pew pew the raid. might want some range on nef to lower his health for phase 3. Nef pew pew + lightning cackle(if we want to assign range dps on him)+ interrupted adds = high possibility of death.

-phase 3. avoid fire, add tank need to control the adds. avoid fire, everyone else burn the nef before he burns us. avoid fire. avoid fire. avoid fire. collect loot.

Question.

During phase three, is there any fire we should be avoiding? Or is it good fire like on Twilight Council?
Bananashroom

council is the only good fire. but the fire too doesnt seems to target the grouped up raid(or at least the video doesnt seems to show). i think they are more of targetting the adds cause if the fire hits them, they will refresh their energy(is which another 50secs of them hitting the adds tank).

i think at certain point, there will be many fire, possibly to the extent of wiping cause the adds tank dies.

Lava on the other hand on phase 2 is bad. they do a stack debuff + nef pew pew is painful. hunters might want to save deterrence, dk ams and other classes might want to shield themselves.

an insignificant feedback from my 1-2min of adds tanking. they spawn basically anywhere. but they will spawn before nef lands. the idea is to have them group up and die together. being in dps gear and going frost for howling blast+chillblain(slows target) they could hit pretty hard when in reach. im not sure if them getting hit by ony's lightning refreshed their energy bar cause some of them seems to live longer than the others. advisable to have hunter trap/totems to aid the adds tank. speaking of that, i was wonder if the adds can kite across the middle passing thru the raid. that way the cc'er can just drop their trap/totem in the middle. cause i dont see them doing any aoe damage. but there wasnt anyone near me while i was fail kiting too. hunters might or at least try to md any loose adds if possible unless the adds tank is so awesome.

thats my 2cents. need someone to call out nef hp too. probably something nef tank or fright would be doing since range is on nef.

Someone wrote this guide on the tankspot forum, I found it to be superb for whoever is going to be our p3 add tank.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the second tank for the encounter you need to give the raid as much time as you can to DPS Nef in phase 3, most guilds are only capable of letting 3 crackles go off before phase 3 (2 in phase 1, and 1 in phase 2). This leaves 5 crackles for phase 3. Which means phase 3 will last approximately 3:00 to 3:30.(assuming a crackle every ~40 seconds.) Using the information above from Ghos7face, and some clever positioning you can have the adds reset only 1 time and still give your raid the 3+ minutes of DPS time they need. Here is the timeline and positioning

0:00 - First Shadowblaze resurrects all of the adds
0:30 - Second Shadowblaze (30 secs after the previous one)
0:55 - Third Shadowblaze (25 secs after the previous one)
1:15 - Fourth Shadowblaze (20 secs after the previous one)
1:30 - Fifth Shadowblaze (15 secs after the previous one)
1:40 - Sixth Shadowblaze (10 secs after the previous one)
1:50 - Seventh Shadowblaze (10 secs after the previous one)

Position Nef parallel against the wall (anywhere on the circle will work).

The adds die at 0 Energy, and it takes ~50 seconds for the adds to go from 100 to 0 energy.

Shadowblaze is a projectile attack from Nef to the adds, it flies decently slow(like a shadowcrash). It has no cast time and Nef doesn't switch targets, but as mentioned above its on a timer.

0:00 - 0:30
It is unlikely that the first shadowblaze will ressurect all 5 adds together, most of the time they are slightly spread out. The fire follows the skeletons, so use the first skeleton up to kite the fire to the remaining skeletons lying dead(you must have all 5, don't CC one). You have 30 seconds to make sure every skeleton is up and running and get yourself into position to "drag" them along the perimeter of the room. Start as close the edge of nefs flame breath as you can, and don't move until the second Shadowblaze. (its not a big deal if the adds get re-energized you want this to happen in a moment anyway).

0:30 - 0:55
At the 30 seconds mark Nef will emote something about shadow and dust signifying a shadowblaze it will target the adds that you are still holding in place near his head. Once it hits and all 5 skeleton are at 100 energy, start backpeddling slowly around the perimeter of the room. At the 54-55 second mark, turn and sideways/strafe run for an extra burst of speed so the shadowblaze misses the adds, the longer flight time from his position to yours will help with this. As soon as you see it land, go back to backpedalling slowly.

0:55 - 1:15
Keep back pedalling with the adds and wait for the 1:14-1:15 mark to do another sideways/strafe run. Shortly after the fourth shadowblaze lands, the adds will die out. (approx 1:20). Let your healers know the adds died, and they have 10 second of almost no raid/2nd tank damage.

1:30 to Kill
Nef will shadowblaze again to res the adds, 3-4 should pop immediately, use the fire again to make sure you get all 5.

At this point the shadowblaze casts will get to fast to realistically keep the adds out of the fire. Instead, keep yourself out of fire, and use stuns and CD's to last as long as you can.

A decently geared tank can take hits from the adds up until about 25 stacks, it takes them another 1:40 seconds after dying to reach this amount.

This gives you approximately 3:00 minutes guaranteed DPS time for your raid. When the stacks are getting high wait for a shadowblaze, and move the adds clear of fire and call for any CC avaiable, then pull the remaining adds as far from the boss as you can and wait for nef to go down.

You'll likely die before that happens.

This unlikely strat works for two reasons, It eliminates the need of getting a second clear of the adds(as a second clear takes at least 1:40, and at that time Nef is casting shadowblaze in 10 second intervals) and by allowing the adds to stack up more movement speed, you can guarentee they will move quick enough so you can easily keep them out of a shadowblaze. Do not use slows or stuns until the adds have died for the first time.

Alinthsux

Just a heads up, Nanners you can't kite the adds through the raid mainly because I believe when they have the shadowflame on them it drops behind them as they move (hence Junkr's strat calling for you to kite the first add to others). Or are you talking add tanking in phase one only? In that case you may be able to, Idk, I'll have to do some research.
Bananashroom

phase 1 only which doesnt matter now cause you're awesome at it. thats the comment i was hoping the adds tank read as i mention a couple of post up. cause its a a wall of text and im too lazy to copy and paste that whole chunk.

Just keep note on phase 3, dont randomly spam shockwave due to shadowflame. the idea is to kite them til the shadowflame stop being cast then shockwave to buy that short time. you might want to visualise the route that you be kiting too from the videos that you'll be watching. i think the idea is to kite it as far out to the side of the room before going inwards. but you're awesome enough to already know this =p

Jump to: