Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> Caster DPS Forums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GM Fright
Officer

re: My UI

I've been told that I'm the best warlock on the server. In fact, I tell myself that almost everytime I log on, believe it or not. It's true. And I think the reason that so many of myselves keep telling me that everyday is because of my UI and my keybindings.

I've worked hard to make them simple and intuitive. After almost 2 years of use, they've hardly changed at all. In fact, I've even incorporated the major elements of my warlock's setup into my other characters'.

Others have rarely seen my UI and keybindings. They've been called "Genius." "Astounding." "Mind-bending." "Blasphemous Acts Against Nature." And I only said 4 of those myself.

So, I thought I'd try and impart a small portion of my wisdom unto you, in the hope that someday, somehow, you might find a way to manipulate your fat, greasy fingers into some crooked, makeshift replica of this awe-inspiring UI and keybinding combination that I've developed.

This will be done entirely through pictures, so as to try and tap into some intelligent, malleable part of your base, primal brains. These pictures will be mostly old, but as my setup has very almost not changed at all in nearly two years, this is of no consequence. Good luck.

Forum Image

Forum Image

Forum Image

Forum Image

Forum Image

Forum Image

Forum Image

Forum Image

Forum Image

Last edited by GM Fright on 06/19/2010 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

lulz i remember human fright

Tuco.

Fright, let me be the first person to tell you that I think your set up is horrible. I'm glad you like it though.
Verjil

Tuco. wrote:
Fright, let me be the first person to tell you that I think your set up is horrible. I'm glad you like it though.

i wouldnt go so far as to call it horrible, but i think fright is the only person on the planet that this could benefit.
Tuco.

Well, sure, horrible is a bit heavy handed. If I had to use it to play I think id have to shoot myself though. I use some of the same concepts but his key locations and such just seem like a hindrance.
GM Fright
Officer

First of all, I just got an iPhone and I'm posting this on it. I feel like it's the year 5000.

Anyway, my setup isn't THAT crazy. It's basically just your movement keys plus modifiers, so I never have to lift my left hand or move it around or anything. And if I have to cast something while moving, I either jump and then hit the spell in the air, or move with my mouse for a bit. It's pretty fluid and easy. My pinky does sometimes get a little tired from holding shift and ctrl all the time, though. Especially if I haven't played in a while.

You'd have to see it in action to understand maybe. But hey, I do well enough with it, there must be something good about it, right?

All of those key binds is probably why I can never seem to play a caster consistently.
GM Fright
Officer

An update for Antisoul. Here's what my UI looks like now (not much has changed).

Notable addons:
-Weak Auras - the orange graphic around my character in the first SS, which tells me backdraft is up, how many charges, and how much longer. The fire things above my character portrait are also Weak Auras, and makes my Embers more visible. You have to build these things yourself in the add on, but it's not too complicated.

-ButtonTimers - the dot timer above my target. It is highly customizable, with a lot of buttons that you can place anywhere on your screen.

-Tidy Plates - the name plates and the debuffs above them. also highly customizable.

-Xperl - unit frames

-Mik Scrolling Battle Text - incoming damage and healing scroll, cause blizzard's sucks. Can also be used for other notifications, but Weak Auras is generally better for that.

-CT Mod - almost everything else, especially bars, easy keybindings, and viewport (black at the bottom of the screen).

Forum Image

Forum Image

Jump to: