Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> Boss Strategies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GM Fright
Officer

re: #4 Emerald Nightmare - Ursoc

strats incoming!

Last edited by GM Fright on 11/02/2016 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Icy Veins Strategy

4. TLDR

Below is a TL;DR of how to handle Ursoc's abilities. This should be used to familiarize yourself with the boss' abilities, and not as a blueprint for success.

4.1. Tanks

• Be ready to taunt whenever your partner is debuffed with Overwhelm Icon Overwhelm.
    • This is not the optimal way of proceeding, but is the easiest. Read our strategy section for more information.
  • Heroic — when Ursoc casts Roaring Cacophony Icon Roaring Cacophony move the boss away from the resulting Miasma Icon Miasma void zone.
  • Mythic — stack up Nightmarish Images immediately when they spawn and ask for Misdirection Icon Misdirections.

4.2. Healers

• Expect damage to ramp up throughout the fight.
  • Be sure to have healing cooldowns for when Ursoc reaches 30% health and soft enrages.

4.3. DPS

• Mythic — Pool your resources to AoE down the Nightmarish Images before they can fear players.

4.4. Everyone

• Stand in Ursoc's path when he is preparing to charge for Focused Gaze Icon Focused Gaze to reduce incoming damage from Barreling Impact Icon Barreling Impact, unless already debuffed by Momentum Icon Momentum. Basically, have two groups to soak the ability and take turns.
  • When targeted by Focused Gaze Icon Focused Gaze move as far away from Ursoc as possible to reduce your damage taken from Trampling Slam Icon Trampling Slam and make sure there is a group of players between you and the boss. Walk in a straight line towards the middle of the room, to avoid confusing your fellow raiders (avoid strafing).
  • Roaring Cacophony Icon Roaring Cacophony can be handled by just the tanks and melee players at the beginning, but its damage ramping up, you will need all players soaking by the end of the fight.
  • Make sure to have cooldowns available for the Blood Frenzy Icon Blood Frenzy part of the fight when Ursoc soft-enrages at 30% health.
  • Heroic/Mythic — Ensure you do not stand in the Miasma Icon Miasma void zones from the Nightmare Images.
  • Heroic/Mythic — Roaring Cacophony Icon Roaring Cacophony's radius being quite large, make use of it. Move out of it immediately after the cast finishes, to avoid taking damage from Miasma Icon Miasma.

Beta servers kill.  No sweet music....

We will very likely be doing it on normal as if the heroic abilities were active (i.e. practicing kiting him around the room to avoid the void zones and stuff in heroic).

Also, weird ass tank swap:

A tank swap is necessary to handle the combination of Overwhelm Icon Overwhelm and Rend Flesh Icon Rend Flesh. Because of the timing on Overwhelm and Rend Flesh, tank swapping optimally is a lot more complicated than first appears. What you want is that the tank who gets hit by Rend Flesh have no stack of Overwhelm and do not receive any for 12 seconds afterwards (so that none of the damage from Rend Flesh is buffed by Overwhelm). To achieve perfection, the tanks need to follow ability timings (as presented in the abilities section). XX:YY means XX minutes and YY seconds into the fight

1. 00:10 — Tank A gains a stack of Overwhelm Icon Overwhelm;
  2. 00:11 — Tank B taunts Ursoc;
  3. 00:17 — Tank B is hit by Rend Flesh Icon Rend Flesh (after a 2-second cast that starts at 0:15);
  4. 00:18 — Tank A taunts Ursoc;
  5. 00:20 — Tank A gains a second stack of Overwhelm;
  6. 00:25 — Tank B taunts Ursoc;
  7. 00:29 — Rend Flesh drops from Tank B;
  8. 00:30 — Tank B gains a stack of Overwhelm;
  9. 00:32 — Overwhelm drops from Tank A;
  10. 00:33 — Tank A taunts Ursoc;
  11. 00:37 — Tank A is hit by Rend Flesh Icon Rend Flesh;
  12. 00:38 — Tank B taunts Ursoc;
  13. 00:40 — Tank B gains a second stack of Overwhelm;
  14. 00:45 — Tank A taunts Ursoc;
  15. 00:49 — Rend Flesh drops from Tank A;
  16. 00:50 — Tank A gains a stack of Overwhelm;
  17. 00:52 — Overwhelm drops from Tank B:
  18. ...

So, the two tanks have to follow this 40-second cycle until the end of the fight. There are variations of this pattern. For example, you can have a tank build up stacks of Overwhelm Icon Overwhelm until 4 while the other tank handles two successive Rend Flesh Icon Rend Flesh, before they swap role.

Tank A Overwhelm
B Rend
Overwhelm

Overwhelm
A Rend
B Overwhelm

Repeat.

OR

A
Overwhelm
B Rend
A Overwhelm
A Overwhelm
B Rend
A Overwhelm

B Overwhelm
A Rend
B Overwhelm
B Overwhelm
A Rend
B Overwhelm

Repeat

Ok, so I'm a simple man. I like a beer after work, the smell of rain, and raid strats that make it easy for my friends to understand. Because of this I would like to provide a better take on the H Ursoc fight.

Dumb convoluted strat

Group 1 stands next to the tanks, 2 on his side. The charge target runs to the middle and group 2 gets hit.

Group 2 moves in front of the boss while 1 repositions and when the roar comes out the whole raid moves clockwise.

Pros:

There should be no issue with who is getting hit by charge

Its easy for the tunnel visioners to follow the symbol on peoples heads

Cons:

AoE Heals efficiency is lacking

Mass confusion as to standing locations

Loss of melee DPS due to boss parry while standing in front

The super cool awesome way

Raid stacks on one side of the boss in a cool comfortable fashion.

When charge happens, group that is not soaking moves away.

After charge, both groups stack back up on the side for awesome heals to help the healers deal with the charge/roar/fear. Repeat from step one.

Pros:

Better for the healers

Everyone knows where to be

It's simple

I was made by a super sexy guy who has killed the boss and is the best druid in the guild

Cons:

People have to remember to get out of the way of charge

Some of you need to shower more so standing so close can be tough

Simple is the answer here. The guys is a DPS check so the more time people have to focus on doing the best rotation they can and the healers keeping them up without running out of mana we will be fine. 

Meow~

Shoopz
Raider

In theory I think sile's strat would be best.

In practice I think we would see quite a few dead raiders from not being where they should be (soaking a charge with a momentum debuff), until they get the hang of it.

GM Fright
Officer

I think I have an idea that gets the best of both worlds.  I'm not going to go around making fancy pictures, but here's the gist of it:

Both groups stack on the side of the boss.  When the charge happens, the second group moves off to the right, to get out of the way.  First group gets hit, then goes and stands on the second group for those AoE heals and stuff.  Tanks move the boss when he roars, move him again when he roars again, and when the next charge comes, the first group moves and the second group stays (opposite of the last charge, of course).  

Basically Sile's strat, but without moving anywhere you want.  Move to the right every time.  
OR basically my strat, just without moving all the way all at once (which you weren't supposed to do anyway...).  Stop half way and get healed, move the rest of the way before the charge goes. (Which is what was intended in practice anyway...)

I.e.: stack, grp1 move rt, stack, grp2 move rt, stack, grp1 rt, stack, grp2 rt, stack, grp1 rt, etc etc.

How's that?

What I DON'T want is for the raid to have to move incrementally every time he roars, I'd like to minimize that movement to allow for better DPS and healing.  Just move right when he charges, and then you're pretty well already in place and don't have to move (very much) again until the next charge. THAT is the point of this strategy.

Jump to: