Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> Raid Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GM Fright
Officer

re: Everything you need to know to be an AoR raider.

Welcome and welcome back, scumbags.

Please take the time to read this fully, and if you have any questions, please ask.

First, I want to inform all our newer members of where this guild has been and is coming from, and also to remind the older members of the high standards and expectations we have held since our formation during Wrath. The easiest way to do this is to link a few of the important and/or policy related posts I made during some earlier time periods. Please take the time to at least glance at them to give you an idea or to remind you of what it is like and what is required to raid at high levels.

This is the post I made after we transitioned to 25 man raiding, outlining the original expectations and priorities of the guild, all of which have remained consistent through the life of the guild:
http://artofruin.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5025697&gid=144239
Here is the outline of DKP rules at the time and, more importantly for our purposes here, the attendance policies and expectations for achieving the Dedicated rank:
http://artofruin.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5085860&gid=144239
A post near the beginning of Cataclysm reiterating our expectations and policies. If you read only one, read this one:
http://artofruin.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6332126&gid=144239
Another post similar to the previous one:
http://artofruin.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6613675&gid=144239

Some important excerpts from those posts:
"There are two other important factors in your potential success within this guild, besides attitude, and those are your attendance and your performance. So far, as expected, overall attendance has been very acceptable, with only a few exceptions. That leaves us with, as currently the primary measure of your... we'll say "worth"... to the guild, your performance. This is not to say that if you perform, you can be a dick, or you can show up when you like. What I'm basically doing is issuing a standing edict: Perform, or be replaced."

"I play this game to progress no matter what, and I'm going to surround myself with players who have the same goal. Ask yourself if you fit that description, and then figure out whether or not you've been playing the part."

"So that's that. Sign Up, Show Up, and the rest is cake.
So long as you don't suck."

So where does all of this lead us today? Well, pretty much right where we were when I wrote those things. My standards have not changed, and neither have the guild's standards. If you are not showing up, not performing, or not being friendly, then you will also not be remaining in the guild. Heroic Raids are challenging, and if we are not striving to be our best, both individually and as a guild, then we will not be successful.

Here's the nuts and bolts of the issue at hand: the expectations of our members and the procedural operations of the guild.

Raider Expectations- Sign up, show up, raid. If you are not able to have reasonable attendance for both our raid nights, then you are not fulfilling your duty to the guild. You are here to raid, and you have to sign up and show up in order to do that. If you are not able to attend a raid, then you must post in the "Absent to Raid" thread in this forum. We ARE tracking attendance, because we are not interested in dealing with flakey and unreliable raiders.
There are also performance expectations, "performance" meaning both raw numbers and raid awareness.

Raids - Thursdays from 6pm to 9pm server, and Sundays from 5pm to 9pm server. You need to be signed up, online and available 10 minutes before the start of the raid. There will often be announcements and other things to quickly discuss ahead of the raid, and being able to get those things out of the way and start pulling by raid time is important.
Our raids are not run by Hitler, suggestions and cooperative strategy is always helpful, but these should be done in whispers and raid chat first. We will not talk over each other in vent or get into long arguments. Flaming and belittling our guildmates during raids (or ever) is not tolerated. Bring all issues to my attention privately and I will address them.

Loot and DKP - information on this policy can be found here: http://artofruin.guildlaunch.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=10628438&gid=144239

We do not need to raid 20 hours a week or be pricks to each other to progress. It isn't hard to keep a casual atmosphere and raiding schedule while maintaining high standards. We are a semi-casual progression guild, and that requires a guild full of solid, dependable, good players. Raiding is only fun if we can kill things, and killing progression content simply requires certain things. If you feel you aren't able to meet our standards, please discuss it with an officer and we will make sure the right decision is made.

The priorities of this guild and its leadership have not changed:

GM Fright on 06/08/2010 wrote:
1. Support our dedicated raiders.
2. Further progression.
3. Ensure the overall benefit of the guild.

Last edited by GM Fright on 10/20/2016 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

We will be using Discord as our voice-talky-talky-box-thing for Legion.  It's easy:

Go to discordapp.com
You can download the program, or just run it in your browser
Click the big + sign on the left of the screen after registering
Select "Join Server" and paste this into the box: https://discord.gg/0125nIKVOBTaTDxR3
Don't be annoying, and don't talk during boss fights!

-Fright

Addendum #2: The Name Game

A guild as old as ours will always end up with players switching main toons, but retaining the names of their originals.  Here's a list of everyone who goes by a name that is different from the character they play.

Frightening
-plays Backmask

Hallaer
-plays Valamandil

Shoops
-plays Vorholle

Amminidab
-plays Drboomlmao

Eruraina
-plays Minneapples

Vyshrael
-plays Illidaar

Toxx
-plays Cociyo

I'll try to keep this up to date as things change.

Jump to: