Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> Raid Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toxx32
Raider

re: Let's show those horrible UI's you are all complaining about

Hey folks,

I'm curious to see what other folks are doing with their UI's.  Here's a link to mine.

http://imgur.com/gwVEJfv

My addons:

ElvUI - Full UI addon suite

DBM - Duh

TidyPlates - Mob nameplates

WeakAuras 2 - Also duh

Clique - Healing mouseover keybinds

Skada - Meters

Quartz - Castbars

If there's anything specific you want to know about my setup, let me know!

GM Fright
Officer

In case you don't trust toxx's suspicious links:

Ha, so my default resolution is 2560x1440 and I didn't want to post the monster picture here in the forums.  The imgur link has the full resolution if you want to see it the way it actually looks.

GM Fright
Officer

You need MOAR THINGS on your screen.  Like me!

Also just open image in new tab for full-screen-ness

Fright's UI is like that post that you think/hope is satire but deep down you know it's real...

Some background: something that I learned while going through school was human/machine interfaces as it relates to flying aircraft. As a flight instructor, when I teach students how to fly in the clouds by only referencing their instruments we teach them to have a scan. A scan can be any sort of pattern that you need to hit all the information you need and crosscheck it with other instruments. The two primary methods we use are a "T" or hub-and-spoke, or a box pattern.

I designed this UI to work on a hub and spoke technique that I use while flying. I look at the center of my screen which has my most important information like where I'm standing, CPs, and Procs. I then shift my eyes right to look at my DoT timers before going back to the center and proceeding down to my resources and health. Back to center and then left for boss health or casts. Rinse and repeat until I hit everything, timers, raid status, mechanics.

Other tips I can provide with this, orient your UI where you're most important information is located near each other, Use audible cues for very important things, everything that is non essential should be disabled (TURN OFF YOUR DAMN METERS). Once you have it set up the other important parts are to not fall into the three traps with a bad scan, Fixation, Omission, and Emphasis. Fixation is straight up tunnel vision which we all know is bad. Omission, you're missing something critical. You may be seeing all your UI but what about mechanics or boss timers? Emphasis is a bit of in-between. You can solve any of these issues by making sure you keeping up your scan or adjusting you're UI to maybe better suit your scan. The biggest thing that I have to teach my students is that scanning can degrade if you don't do it often. Get into LFR or dungeons to practice your scan because we only raid 2 days a week. Fix your bad habits and bring them to raid where you will see a difference.

If you have any questions let me know and I may be able to share some of my background experience with this because these are the UIs I have to deal with.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> Raid Information All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: