Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> WotLK and Cata Content
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Ourstateobzen

re: BoT: Halfus Wyrmbreaker

Seeing as it was 3 a.m. and I didn't feel like sleeping yet, I thought I'd do a little thinking about good old Halfus Raidwrecker. I spent approximately 10 minutes in MSPaint to put together my understanding of how the fight is going to go. The gray circle is the storm drake, the brown circle is Halfus, and the blue circle is the nether drake.

Forum Image

This is how the pull is supposed to look. Since I'm pretty sure Fright said we're using three tanks, the storm drake tank will be moving slightly to the west, the Halfus and Nether drake tanks will take their targets to the northwest corner of the room (this is how it looked on the Tankspot video).

Forum Image

This is how we will look for as long as it takes to kill the storm drake. A few notes:
1. The reason the first interrupt was such a bitch last night was because the storm drake wasn't being activated soon enough. Once the nether drake becomes active, there will be no trouble with two dedicated melee interrupting every other cast. Me and Bellasaer could probably handle this if that was the decision. So yeah, this drake needs to be activated with much much much haste once we pull halfus. Maybe even pull him by running up to the drake.

2. HEALING CIRCLES ARE IMPORTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT. This is, as Utah stated in a healing post, the most efficient way for healers to heal you. Stand in them. What I thought could help is if the healers lay one down in three locations: One for the Halfus, nether, and interrupter group, one for the storm drake tank and mele group, and one for the ranged group. This was made in mspaint, it was not made to scale, maybe more than one will be required in an area, I dunno. I suppose that's something for the healers to figure out.

3. There is no 3.

Forum Image
Once (if) we kill the storm drake, halfus will be getting hurt more. The tanks will then need to release the emerald whelps. Tankspot said that these really don't do anything, and that just by leaving them in cleave range they'll just go away eventually. Ranged and melee that were formerly on the storm drake will now be on the nether scion.

Forum Image

I will bet someone else's money this is what our first kill will look like. Pretty self-explanatory.

So my question for our beloved GM is, is this what you had in mind? This was my interpretation, anyway. If this is wrong, MAKE YOUR OWN GODDAMN MSPAINT PICTURES YOU LAZY PIECE OF OLD DEODORANT WITH AN ARMPIT HAIR ON IT.

Bai.
GM Fright
Officer

Sure, basically, except Halfus needs to be tanked more or less where he's standing and the two drakes stacked on top of each other by the whelps. Also, we can't activate the drakes until halfus is aggro'd, and they take several seconds themselves to aggro. The first shadownova seems pretty much guaranteed unless you guys want to just get on him and start smacking him with interrupts immediately. With everyone on him at that time waiting for the drakes, that might be almost viable.

It would be fantastic if two interrupters could handle it after the drakes are up, but it didn't work out so well in practice tonight. We'll likely try a couple different setups to see what works out best for us.

Mainly we still need to gear up, and we need to bring a full raid. Tonights attendance was disappointing, especially with how many people we've brought in over the last month. You're in this guild to raid, and we are now raiding.

I FUCKING LOVE MSPAINT!

As much as i would love to do raid and keep up with galt as such, yesterday was sad. Even tho we did manage to get an epic, gratz sile, it was still painful. i think its time we come to reality that we are raiding and we need geared people to raid. Upgrades you can get from a lot of sources. so please do your part.

i know some people are having RL stuff atm, and cant really contribute too much to the game, i wouldnt blame you but try your best. also, since we're raiding, we have a sticky for people afk rl, please use it. we had like 28+ when we were leveling and suddenly people just disappear. dont be that guy.

On the topic, to be honest, im not really sure what is happening half of the time lol. when i dpsing, i get hit by a fireball, get knockback and dragon hit me and im dead. this happen on like most of the attempts. while lol tanking, i activate the dragon, get knock back, fireball, dragon hit and dead. thats what i learn from all those attempts, how to die the same way everytime. i'll be honest too that i didnt really do that much research cause i thought omnitron was the first boss. so on that part, im sorry.

ok most of the video are from lucky groups that got the time warden, we dont have that luck and a lot of damage are coming in. there's no one strat fight for this boss too cause of the random drake. firstly, what do the drakes do?

Storm- knockback thingy dunno what's it called interruptable
Time warden- slow down fireball and such to make them avoidable
Slate- long stun(are they talking about the roar thing at 50%?)
nether scion- frenzy?(is the the damage increase on boss?)
Whelps- Reduce raid damage

our luck for the week, nether scion, storm rider and whelps.

That knockback in controllable by interrupts, increase damage on boss(not sure if this is the effect if we kill him) useful for burning him when drake are dead, whelps reduce raid damage.

from all this, the one i could see that will benefit us most is the whelps.so how about we kill

Whelps > storm rider > nether scion

whelps so maybe healer can focus more on tanks, storm to release the interruptors so they can help dps the nether scion and lastly nether scion which is perfect cause all we need to do next is burn the boss to 0%.

One of the reason i can think of for killing the whelps first is cause we are awesome at aoe. wotlk expansion taught us that well. most videos are in 10man, saw 1 comment of people not releasing a third drake( can we hold of releasing the nether scion? how does he really affecting the boss?)

anyway thats my 2cents.

We might try some different things on him to see what works best.

More importantly, remember, we're not trying to keep up with John Galt, we're not trying to be the best guild on the server. I've said that many times. What we are trying to do is be that best that WE are able to be, and I feel like that's pretty damned good. I'm more than OK going in and wiping on bosses for three hours at this point in the game. That's fantastically frustrating and it builds character and stuff. It's great practice and all the practice we put in now is going to help us burn through this shit even faster when folks start getting up to speed on gear this next week.

What I'm not OK with is people not showing up at all. If for whatever reason I find out that there was anyone not there last night simply because you didn't want to spend the evening wiping, we're going to have a very short conversation, and it's a very short conversation that you do not want to have with me.

Attendance tracking and DKP have both started.

Yeah, what he said.

Obz, you think to much, get medicated. Nice thoughts though.

motherfuck..........
2nd time typing this shit. Feedback on the fight.

Drake combo:- Slate, Storm and Whelps
Attempts
First attempt we did it like 25man. release slate and storm. Lots of raid damage, interrupt issues.
Second attempt, change of drake. whelps and storm. interrupts issues, banana aggro whore the whelps and got rape. they hit me for like 10k per hit. We realise debuff on tank tanking halfus. healing debuff. 15 stack = to like 90% debuff. 30secs debuff time. We went with tank swapping.
Third attempt, manage to kill storm and run over to storm. raid still taking lots of damage. Kim sucks at interrupt(i love you). saurial man up with his 5secs cd interrupt.
Third attempt++ and kill. we release storm, burn him down, tank swap at like 6-7 stack. mast was the free tank after storm is dead, release whelps, Aarroun md and Kim Tott to mast. nanners still manage to pull some. kill whelps. At this point, the raid stop taking shit ton of damage. before that most if not all of us was at 50% or below. healers starts to breathe normally again. we release slate. burn him down. and its was tank and spank all the way to 0%

Gratz guys on the great job. Gratz on loot winners and a pat on back for saurial being the interruptor(with help from some of us every now and then)

So my question is. why do we need to release 2 drakes at a time on 25man? what did i miss? unless lets say the drake combo is Storm and Time warden which both will benefit us by reducing raid damage. Cause releasing 2 drakes at a time seems like an achievement which you need to kill the drakes 10secs apart or something like that. anyway thats my feedback. really looking forward to kill it on 25man because its a totally doable boss cause we are awesome.

The only reasons I could see is to help w/ raid dmg and possibly enrage, revisions will be made to our 25 strat. I'll research the 2 drake combo more.

Also, I would love to continue tonight where last nights raid left off, we did some great work last night and I believe we can get those 2 drakes dead with a little tweaking.

Btw here is the ss for all u lovers and haters
Forum Image
Amminidabtree

Congrats on the kill.

I had a hard time reaiding your post Banana, but the way I read it I think you made some good points about the dragons. It'd be easier learning/destroying fights one dragon at a time and all that cal.

apparently i talk like a 3 year old when i get excited or really sleep. so im gonna stop posting stuff =(

Updated the Boss Strategies page (top of the website) with this Strat:

Halfus Wyrmbreaker:

Drake release priority: Storm Rider (slows shadownova) > Slate Dragon (periodically stuns halfus, grants Malevolent Strike ability) > Nether Scion (reduces Halfus' damage drastically) > Time Warden (shows where Fireballs will land, allowing you to avoid them).
Depending on the drake combination, the preferred method will be to release one drake and the whelps at the start of the fight. MD and ToT the whelps to the drake tank, focus DPS on the drake. When the first drake is dead, the free tank will release and pick up the second drake while the raid kills the whelps.

If we are unfortunate enough to not have the Storm Rider available for release, we'll have to eat the shadow nova's. If we do, we will assign two interruptors (likely DPS shamen) to stay on Halfus and interrupt constantly. Everyone else will burn the adds, and when the adds are dead, burn the boss. Drakes will need to be dead by the time Halfus is at 50%. Tanks will need to swap at about 5-6 stacks of Malevolent Strike (only applied if the slate dragon is active).

At 50% he will begin to periodically cast Furious Roar 3 times in quick succession. This stuns the entire raid three times in a row, and after the third stun, he will immediately cast Shadownova. An interruptor MUST break the THIRD stun, and interrupt. Best way is for a mage to blink + counterspell.

At 30%, he will go all Morrowgar on everyone. Kite him and DPS burn.

To reiterate the main points: KILL DRAKES, INTERRUPT SHADOWNOVA, BREAK STUN AND INTERRUPT, KITE AND KILL.

Fìn.

I'm not sure that's correct that u only get the malevolent strikes if the slate is active. What exactly do u consider active? In the attempts we did that killed him, the slate was available to be freed. Now w/ the malevolent strikes there needs to be a tank swap at 8 stacks between one of the drake tanks and halfus. The reason for 8 is that is the time it takes for the old tanks stacks to fall off, and the new halfus tank will get up to just 8 stacks, and then tank swap again. Now this is key for you healers, cause the new drake tank will be taking more dmg due to the malevolent strikes, which reduces healing done to them by i believe it said w/ 8 stacks was~63%? That number might be w/ 9 stacks. Fright, do we intend on having 2 or 3 tanks this time around, if its 3 tanks then we could totally do like 4-5 stacks of malevolent strikes before tank swapping.

And also to add to the 30% health thing, he becomes untauntable so we will need to have a fresh tank get on him without any malevolent strikes.
GM Fright
Officer

Everything I've seen says you only get Malevolent strikes when the Slate Drake is one of the active drakes, meaning that it's one of the two drakes available to be freed. Could be wrong, who know's. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

i believe what fright says is right. so without him, there doesnt seem to be a need of tank swap without. what we did on our first attempt on 25man is right, except for gear and interrupt and possibly dps issues. and maybe drake order. i would say releasing time warden last could be question. avoidable damage = less heal on raid = more focus on tanks? well, every week is a different combo so lets see what we get this week.

Quote:
The captured drakes in this encounter now apply Dragon's Vengeance when they are killed instead of when they are freed. To account for this change, the health and damage of the drakes has been reduced, and the damage bonus gained from Dragon's Vengeance has been increased.

Important.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> WotLK and Cata Content All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: