Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> WotLK and Cata Content
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
GM Fright
Officer

re: TotFW: Al'Akir

Griiiiiiimmer wrote:

The other big thing is that all the dps and main tank are stacked on phase 2.

I thought about this as I took a shower, and I like it a lot.

what else do you think about in the shower
GM Fright
Officer

New ways to try and communicate with 24 imaginary friends across thousands of miles of fiber optic cables that will infer upon them the importance of various aspects of a pixelated encounter and it's multiple code-driven mechanics so as to overcome the challenges it presents in a timely fashion and without anyone, after 5 hours of exertion towards that goal, saying something in the vein of "i thnk this boss does natur dmg."

GM Fright wrote:
saying something in the vein of "i thnk this boss does natur dmg."

NATUR DMG?????? I didn't notice......

Squall line damage taken:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rcuwun64n6o3kxgb/spell/93283/?enc=bosses

Actor Totals

Furocios-------1226000
Zanthorium---1170000
Grimmer-------1062000
Sterne---------1031990
Liksalot--------722000
Saurial---------676000
Yeetawh-------586000
Junkr-----------574423
Trazodone----566780
Lydecker------524500
Felixzero------488000
Frightening---433536
Kimlin----------424000
Banana--------411550
Obzen---------406800
Tavie-----------372000
Masticus-------346863
Azakel----------344000
Aarroun--------334000
Amminidab----328000
Siletense------305542
Bellasaer------288000
Ahrimian-------281147
Kaasi-----------202000
Hulkssmash---167880
Vergilkint------128000
Klík--------------92000

I was going to add the caveat that this includes intentional "fright calls wipe so I jumped in the tornado damage" but I realized that i did that, and my damage taken was still under 200k, so you dont have any excuses any more.

total damage done:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rcuwun64n6o3kxgb/analyze/dd/source/

Notice how the lists are roughly inverse?

Hulkssmash wrote:

Actor Totals

Furocios-------1226000
Zanthorium---1170000
Grimmer-------1062000
Sterne---------1031990

I'm sorry, but looking at this made me want to post it TWICE, because it is THAT IMPORTANT.

Fur, Zanth, Grimm, Sterne....You each took OVER ONE MILLION DAMAGE that was 100% avoidable. Not only that, but if you want to beat this boss you must dodge those tornadoes 100% of the time.

ONE MILLION DAMAGE.

12 hours later and I still want to punch puppies.

Tornado sandwiches seemed to be what wiped us when we actually had a "good" attempt going. Whether it was me that that got sandwiched or the dps group. It was a wipe either way.

I like Grimmer's idea of having everyone stack during ph2. I also think that we need to be more mobile. I was starting to pick patterns lastnite. I need to be able to move more to avoid getting sandwiched. Sitting still in static positions is wipe waiting to happen.

Ph2 strat #1= 2 groups consisting of Me and then everyone else. Be ready to move quickly left or right to avoid tornado sandwich. There does seem to be a pattern to them. They seem to like to converge on the little static guys. This is Blizzards idea to break guilds that can't think on their feet and be mobile during a fight imo.

Ph2 strat #2= Spread everyone out to make the incidence of tornado sandwich less of an impact. Add a tank to the other side to spread the static guys out as well. I still feel that we need to be able to move left or right as needed though.

gonna have to disagree with you sterne if I am reading this right. Watching the video I posted, they never had a tornado sandwhich to avoid and were rather static in phase 2. They had main tank and the raid stacked on one spot. The off tank was out of the raid. We had raid, main tank, and off tank. The tornado mechanic is probably based on our positions, not sure of the exact mechanic.

I really want to copy the 2 elements that I highlighted in the vid I posted.
Junkr
Friend

Quote:
need to be able to move more to avoid getting sandwiched. Sitting still in static positions is wipe waiting to happen.

This is fine, almost.

Your #1 priority is to not get hit by tornadoes. If you do, above anyone else, it basically assures a wipe, given the fact that there's little chance for us to maintain our chain of add killing. And in that respect, your #2 priority is to make sure you are within reasonable distance of the raid so we aren't running 19614 yards just so we can keep killing the adds.

As we get more and more comfortable with p1 and beating tornadoes (I know I'm still a fuck at it), our next biggest concern will be the adds maintaining a solid stack up, which we were honestly doing a pretty damn good job at considering the circumstances.

Hulkssmash

remember that on P2, if you see a tornado sandwich coming, run to the side.

What I do is look right and left, if i see two, I run THROUGH the closest one.

This accomplishes two things:

1) forces my camera to look at the opening to make it easy to dodge
2) increases the time before the 2nd wall hits.
--If there is one to the right and one to the left, running right gives you more distance away from the one to the left. so if you run through the opening on the right, you now have more time to adjust to the proper opening for the second wall.

Another tip is to turn your camera to face the ground. If you are looking down as the wall passes, all you have to do is make sure your character is not moving and in the gap.

Use the designs on the ground, there is some key graphic for each of the 6 openings, "circle on the ground", "top of the spade", etc. Look at where the opening is going to be, then stand there ahead of time. Look at where the group to your right/left is standing. Go stand there too.

none of these things are hard/fast rules, nor are they strat changes, they are just tips to help you with your placement.

Having camera zoomed out all the way helps immensely here, if anyone doesn't do that. I know some people get used to a certain camera distance...but this is one fight where you might want to bite the bullet and zoom it all the way out.

The wise man speaks only of what he knows.

kaasi
Friend

i shouldn't have to say it but anyone keyboard turning during this encounter should just quit now

GM Fright
Officer

Alright boys and girl, I've got in mind the changes we'll make tonight that will kill us this boss. Be ready.

kaasi wrote:
i shouldn't have to say it but anyone keyboard turning during this encounter should just quit now

or Excessive S-Keying

I have been more interested in the fail videos. Sure, in the kill videos nobody gets sandwiched.

Forum Image
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> WotLK and Cata Content All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: