Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> Tanking and Healing Forums
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Yeetawh

re: Random healer info

I was bored and didn't really want to do my homework so I figured I'd compile some random info for our healers. I've been leveling my alts and have done a lot of reading on healing specs because I basically heal on all my alts. And yes, I actually have one toon of every healing class....I need a life. I figured it could come in handy to our current healers or anyone who wants to know more about healing for their class.

Here is a list of every healer class/spec stat priority:

Shaman:
Int > Spirit > Crit > Mastery > Haste
Crit and mastery might switch with the patch increasing Mastery
Honestly I'd say that crit, mastery and haste are all about on the same level. I personally prefer crit over mastery and then haste, but I'm not saying to stack one and ignore the rest, make it a bit of a balance.

Holy Priest:
Int > Spirit > Haste @ 12.5% w/ raid buffs > Mastery > Crit
Basically reforge out of that nasty crit.

Disc Priest:
Int > Spirit > Mastery/Haste/Crit
What I have read so far says to reforge Crit to mastery or haste, but that neither one really far outweighs the other.

Druid:
Int > Spirit > Haste > Mastery > Crit
Note on Mastery: Not really that great for raid healing, but useful for tank healing.
Note on haste: 5th tick of Rejuv at 915 and 9th of Wild Growth at 2004

Paladin:
Int > Spirit > Haste > Mastery > Crit
Paladins are my worst to deal with so I don't know how correct I am on this one, feel free to yell at me if I'm wrong and tell me what's really up.

Hopefully this can be useful to our current healers or want to be healers.

I'll probably post more healing info for gems, enchants and all that stuff so we can be lazy and not have to go offsite. Well, everyone but me if I'm looking it all up...But it's more fun than homework.

Don't mind me. I know I walk around in the shadows, but I've healed far more than anything else in this game, so, yeahhhh

Holy seems spot on. I'm not sure how much I'd reforge out of crit, unless you were going into spirit or haste, because the mastery for holy just isn't that great.

The same goes for disc as far as reforging goes. Crit is actually more helpful for disc, considerably. Crits are actually needed for Divine Aegis, and you do get a haste bonus with your shield casts, so personally I'd stack crit over haste. Even if you're atonement for Halfus and spamming smite till the sun goes down, I'd still go with crit over haste, to an extent of course. Even though you're not using PW:S nearly as much as you did in wrath, crit helps with that too, assuming you're glyphed for it.

In the end you just get a lot more out of crit than you do haste. Again, to an extent.

As far as paladins, don't focus on spirit. At all. I mean you'll get it because healing plate has spirit, and that's fine it's not terrible, but for my sanity don't focus on it. Paladins have (in my opinion) too much of an ability to regain mana, and it's only getting stronger in the patch.

I'd go Int>Haste>Crit>Mastery>Spirit.

I'd also run with this spec/glyph setup most of the time.

For Major glyphs, there would be times where I'd swap the LoH/Divinity Glyphs for Beacon/Cleansing.

The reason for crit over mastery is sketchy and in my opinion both are valid choices. I choose crit because of Conviction/Infusion of Light combined with the fact that currently mastery doesn't round up or down and only accounts for full point values. Meaning if you have 12.85% mastery you have .85% wasted itemization. Now, you could either reforge out of mastery to get some haste, or reforge out of crit to get up to 13%. Either of those options would be good.

Again, don't mind me. I just enjoy getting my nerd on from time to time.

Good write up overall! I'll trust you on the shamans/druids Happy

Somosito wrote:
Holy seems spot on. I'm not sure how much I'd reforge out of crit, unless you were going into spirit or haste, because the mastery for holy just isn't that great.

I have to disagree with you on that one. I haven't done much on my priest yet, but everything I have read lists holy mastery as pretty good. They say to stack in once you've hit the 12.whatever% haste with raid buffs. I mean holy mastery makes your direct heals heal an addition percent over time, sounds like a pretty excellent buff to me.

That's not really right. Always stack intellect and spirit.

The haste and mastery decision comes from the 2nd secondary stat on gear, and that alone.

My interpretation is, reforge out of everything except spirit until the haste cap, then take mastery items if that's available as an option. However, as is the case with most classes, epic items with one or two of the highest valued stats tend to be upgrades over all blue items (barring trinket oddities), because the weight on those stats is so great, namely, intellect, agility and strength.

Intellect is good.

The wise man speaks only of what he knows.

Somosito
Raider

The mastery will be good in time. The problem is that right now your gear is restricted to a certain item level. This means that because you need that amount of haste, and the mana/regen to get to a level where you can perform at a viable rate in content, you only have so much left over for mastery. (I'm sure you understood what I meant without the elaboration but it's habit, sorry).

So right now, with 372 gear, it probably would be pretty nice. But right now you're going to get more throughput with a critical heal than you would with mastery stacked.

Echo of Light is going to be good, and I think that when we're killing deathwing (or that tier of content) we'll see it's full potential, but as for now, it's lacking. At least from my experience.

I haven't done nearly as much as Sav or many priests out there, but I've toyed around with it enough to gain my own opinion. And even in last nights raid, I wasn't impressed with the mastery at all.

However, I could use it as an excuse for the reason I chain wiped us for two hours. Yeah!

Hm, I still disagree with you. But I am now leveling my priest and plan on basically just dungeon healing my way from 80 to 85 so I will find out for myself how much it really helps. Granted I will not have much experience with it's effect in raiding. But with so many people saying mastery is good for holy, I can't go against it. I understand that the current gear level doesn't let it reach it's full potential, but if you get to a point where you are comfortable with your mana regen and haste, I don't see whats wrong with getting as much increase in echo of light from mastery as possible. Every little bit helps and having an extra % of healing over time is something I wouldn't say no to. It's a flat increase to your healing, just let's you do more for less.

I approve most of what somo had to say except about Mastery, as far as disc is concerned mastery increases the shielded amount so stacking mastery is good. but yes I had found that Crit>haste in both disc and holy. Thanks to Cata its more about the bang for you buck, vs trying to save the people standing in the fire (thats what lifegrip is for) there really is no more saving fail. and Mastery for my holy set accounted for probably 40% of my healing done, its basically kinda like being a druid.. it puts that hot up there thats left rolling on afterwards.

Now back to crit- like somo said crit really is disc's friend cause it increases the aegis which from healing as disc for over a year accounts for nearly as much shielded mitigation if not more than your actual PW:S. plus it means your heals hit harder. but You will definatly be playing a balancing act when you are disc, cause you still need a little bit of haste to tank heal.

“I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m outta control, and at times a little hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst; Than you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.” Marilyn Monroe
Somosito
Raider

I think I'm being unclear.

I only have a discrepancy with reforging out of crit for mastery, unless you're going to hit the full point to buff your mastery, since it doesn't round up.

I would still prioritize mastery over crit in gearing options, and even in gems and enchants.

My only discrepancy was reforging out of it. I agree it's good. Free healing on every direct heal is certainly strong, regardless of the crappy amount or not, because it's free. The same thing with shadow's vampiric embrace; crappy heals, but a passive effect that is free so it's amazing.

Currently though the mastery is just too weak to always immediately reforge out of crit without giving it any thought.

Renew can crit. That's awesome. Crits give you inspiration procs. Also awesome. That's all I'm saying.

Also, EJ is broken for a few different classes. Including priests.

than yes, I agree with you on all accounts. Happy

“I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m outta control, and at times a little hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst; Than you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.” Marilyn Monroe
Yeetawh

I've done more reading on this topic of priests and crit.
I'm not saying I think crit is bad, but from the sounds of you don't really need to work for it.

First off as you gain more intellect from your gear/gems/enchants you will automatically increase your crit.

Also when you really think about it the only time you really should be counting on your critical heals is when you are tank healing. When you're tanking healing you want to keep inspiration up on your tank for that damage decrease. But also with Chakra you already get a 25% crit increase on your Heal so keeping inspiration up with that should be no problem.

I understand that crit is important but I don't think it is more important for a priest than haste or mastery. Other than more powerful heals and inspiration, crit offers a priest nothing, unlike a shaman who has a few healing and mp5 procs from haste. Crit has the worst conversion factors for a priest and it is diminished even further by Chakra which increases it. If Heal is the priest spammable heal and Chakra increase Heal's crit by 25% that is plenty and you don't really need all the extra crit from gear.

You can instead put that crit from your gear to an increase in haste, which remember HoTs scale with haste and you can get another tick of renew from 12.5% haste. And with mastery you can heal a target even longer with the HoT that it leaves. With the way raid encounters are now they tend to have lots of raid damage that is excellent. It's more heal for less work and cost. This mastery HoT has also been shown to be a low overhealing spell, so it's not like it is going to waste.

In summary. Crit: I still think it should be reforged out of because you get more crit with more int. Crit offers no mana benefits unlike a free HoT from mastery or from a free renew tick from haste. Crit is also automatically increased from Chakra so keeping all your crit on your gear is overkill.
Not saying to avoid gear with crit on it at all costs. But basically it's just not going to benefit you as much as haste or mastery.

I have been scouring the internet for this information. I've read quite a few different forums on this topic, looked at their math and the logic behind the whole idea. To me it is very solid and I'm not changing my mind.

Fine then! Hmph.

Friend

I've done a lot of research on my priest as well. During my hiatus I've been toying with a worgen priest on another server on the weekends and I read extensively about all this stuff. I have to agree with Yeetawh, everything I have seen says crit is pretty much the least wanted as Chakra provides us with crit. The general stated consensus is that all holy gear should have spirit if possible and anything with crit should be reforged into haste or mastery.
Yeetawh

Klikdatroll wrote:
I have to agree with Yeetawh

Yesssssssssssssssssssss

we never said crit > mastery never ever. Master > both crit and haste but if i had to choose crit or haste, I would choose crit.

Masticrom

Yeetawh wrote:
Klikdatroll wrote:
I have to agree with Yeetawh

Yesssssssssssssssssssss

Having someone who just got back to playing the game, and is just starting to play a new class they aren't familiar with isn't much of a win versus a person who has been theory crafting/raiding for years on this class. Imo listen to the damn priests, THEY know their classes better. ~Fini
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> Tanking and Healing Forums All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: