Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> WotLK and Cata Content
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
GM Fright
Officer

re: Firelands: Ragnaros

10 man:

Last edited by GM Fright on 09/21/2012 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Detailed strat:

http://www.icy-veins.com/ragnaros-detailed-strategy

25 Man Video from Enigma.

This video includes the vent communication, which I think will be instrumental to success. As Fright mentioned, there is a shit ton of stuff going on in this fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TETArCl0xJQ

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the ending of this video. Totally looks like something that would happen in AoR.

Ourstateobzen

Nah there's too many people alive to be an AoR moment. An AoR moment is one person alive with 2% health.
GM Fright
Officer

@6:03 - "Don't fuck up on these sons."

I should raid lead for those guys.

Phase One

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ypx7h5fe2pvrg4mb/spell/100292/?enc=bosses&boss=52409

You must fix this. Healers, you make up 6 of the top, well, 6 in damage taken from the lava waves. If there were crazy mechanics or a ton of healing going on, maybe I'd sympathize, but phase one is about as simple a healing phase as you're going to find. You must learn to stop zombie-staring at your healing bars.

Akillins is the only person that did not get hit at least once. Melee, you've got a large advantage in avoiding 75% of these, but if you get hit at all most of you are usually going to die.

Name: ______ Damage Taken:
Yeetawh ---------1534730 - 11.1% - 14 hits
Antiock ----------1483225 - 10.7% - 15 hits
Alastonn ---------1364961 - 9.9% - 13 hits
Dankush ---------1323470 - 9.6% - 12 hits
Klik ---------------1169615 - 8.4% - 11 hits
Tavie -------------1101411 - 8.0% - 10 hits
Valilira -------------910788 - 6.6% - 13 hits

The number of hits are cut in half after this point, but the total damage taken stays close to the same because if you're not a healer, you can't dispel the dot yourself, so you took more overall damage from each hit waiting for the healers to dispel it for you. This is especially true of melee, who are more likely to get knocked out of range of healers and then die an agonizing death to the dot. For example, Antiock, who took 15 hits, only took 11 dot ticks, which means he got so used to getting lava slammed up his ass that his self-dispel reactions got pretty good. Obzen got hit 3 times, but took 7 ticks.

There only 2 things that any of you have to look for in phase one: smash waves and traps, and unless you're Junkr or myself, the only thing you have to think is "move." Be aware, pay attention, and move proactively, or you will continue getting your face raped by huge waves of molten lava, and that's bad for everyone.

Last edited by GM Fright on 08/04/2011 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total

First Transition

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ypx7h5fe2pvrg4mb/details/136/?enc=bosses&boss=52409
This is damage done to Sons of Flame. Not terribly reliable since many of you liked to be dead pretty often going into that phase, but look at it, and if you're not where you maybe thought you'd be, then maybe you need to rethink whatever silly-dumb-stupid personal strategy you were using for that phase.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ypx7h5fe2pvrg4mb/spell/101229/?enc=bosses&boss=52409
That's damage taken by people who decided to go stand on top of Sulfuras. You can't do that, it will hurt you. Once or twice on accident I get, but 4, 5 and 7 times is a bit overkill.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ypx7h5fe2pvrg4mb/spell/100289/?enc=bosses&boss=52409
Lava Bolt damage taken. It is unavoidable, and it doesn't hit very hard. This is the only thing you have to contend with during the transition, healers, so if you're not doing something to help with the adds, it would be the best time to regen some mana.

Phase Two

The info for this phase is, of course, pretty sparse, and since most of you bastards couldn't find it in you to survive that long, it's only going to give you an idea of what's going on. But here it is anyway.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ypx7h5fe2pvrg4mb/spell/100579/?enc=bosses&boss=52409
Damage taken from Molten Seed creation. We only had this happen 3 or 4 times, so if you took damage from it more often than that, then you weren't spread out 6 yards from the people around you. DBM new range meter is retardedly easy to use, place it somewhere on your screen where it will be more of a help to you.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ypx7h5fe2pvrg4mb/spell/100187/?enc=bosses&boss=52409
Engulfing Flame damage. Very few people ever survived long enough to experience this, but you can quickly tell from this log the few who stopped surviving when they experienced it. It will happen when we stack up to AoE the adds, so it is INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY important that you LOOK FOR IT, and MOVE THE FUCK OUT OF IT. IT WILL MURDER YOU.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ypx7h5fe2pvrg4mb/details/164/?enc=bosses&boss=52409
Damage from the Molten Elementals. The top spot is the Inferno, which I'll talk about next. The only other damage they do is a pretty light melee attack. This will not be healing intensive, and they will die pretty quick. The only important thing here is that you don't get demolished by the Engulfing Flame while we're killing them.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ypx7h5fe2pvrg4mb/spell/100252/?enc=bosses&boss=52409
Molten Inferno damage. The higher your number of hits, the more often you survived into that phase, the lower your total PER HIT, the further away you were when it went off, which is the goal. There's 20 seeds maximum, so 3 attempts into phase 2 would be at least 60 hits, plus a little for the first time when we actually survived the first wave somehow. Any less than that, and you were dead. Each hit shouldn't do more than 4000 damage, because 4000*20 = 80,000, and that's pushing it, since you also just got hit for 40k from the seed creation. If your average was above that, you weren't moving away quickly enough. We will do this phase differently on Monday to see if it works out better for us.

This phase is not that complex. Spread out -> stack up -> AoE and avoid engulfing flame -> repeat. With all the running around and AoEing and such, it will likely take longer than phase one, and that's fine. This fight is not a race against the clock, this fight is a race against your own inability to stay alive. Watch some Bear Grylls episodes and come prepared to not die on Monday.

Are we going to try the strategy where we spread out around the middle in a big circle and then collapse when the seeds come in during phase two?

aye, more or less.

Ok, because on our first night of attempts, kaasi was saying we were doing more of a 10-man approach on the lava seeds. Having less of a distance to run with even more seeds seems beneficial for us since we need to get some healing in before the seeds explode all over our faces. Everyone needs to pay attention to where they are standing, though. You MUST be six yards apart otherwise you will take unnecessary damage.

We tried the approach that Enigma used in their kill, in the video posted above, and that was a 25 man kill. I liked it better because it didn't spread the entire raid out all over the place, outranging healers. With the other method, we'll just have to organize where each healer goes, so not really a big deal there, either.

There's always at least 2 ways to handle almost any boss mechanic ever made in this game, the trick is to figure out the one that will work best for us.

The only problem I saw with that is that it took us too long to run from one side to another and without the healing prior to them detonating it killed a few of us.
Klik
The Klik
Friend

<walloftext>

This is not meant to be an excuse, but rather an explanation (at least from my perspective and most likely the other healers as well).

First attempts on new fights are screwy for us as we're trying to learn and absorb everything going on. We tend to get tunnel-vision on the tank's/raid's health bars as we try to gauge the amount of damage they're going to be taking. Do we need to be proactive vs. reactive?, can the tank sit at 50% safely for a second or two?, are we being mana efficient? Can we expect to see unexpected massive spikes?

Once we get a decent feel for all of that, we get more comfortable with looking away for a second or two, and knowing that we can take a few seconds to re-position, confident that we have that luxury. I guarantee that if there are six healers assigned to the tank and he dies, each and every one of us will feel it is our individual fault, and not one of us like that feeling.

I watched the video and I read the strat, and I read the in-game descriptions of all the abilities; but even knowing all of that, it takes getting in there and adding the above perspective to all of that knowledge for it to become a clear picture.

I scour over the logs after each night to see what worked and what didn't. To see where I need to focus my attention more. One of our first nights on Alysrazor I was the second highest in damage taken from avoidable shit, but the next night I was at the very bottom once all of the above factors clicked. You can see the same results in varying degrees from all the healers.

Monday night's logs should paint a very different picture.

</walloftext>

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> WotLK and Cata Content All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: