Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> Am this most thing for are guild?!
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Junkr
Friend

re: So... what's your favorite game?

It's not wow. You know it, you have a love/hate relationship just like the other 9153 billion people who play this game. So here we go. My favorite game of all time.

http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/

Doukutsu Monogatari // Cave Story.

Why it's my favorite? I am a retro gamer at heart. This is an 8 bit game, with 8 bit music - and they're sweet tunes.

Quote:
Cave Story is really one of those games that can be considered a masterpiece of game design. There are so many wonderful and classic gaming elements, that I cannot even begin to describe just one quality well enough to say “It is for this one reason alone that Cave Story is a great game.” There is just so much effort, originality and ingenuity behind this game and it really shows more and more as you play through it.

What else? 5 different possible endings, each with it's own positives and negatives, an engrossing storyline with characters that all have differing, awesome personalities (for a sidescrolling action game, this is astounding in and of itself), a beast of a final boss, an even bigger beast of the "true" final boss, which requires you to do every piece of side story in the game to get there, as well as saving all of the other NPCs, and to achieve the 'best' ending.

But for me, what really sets this game apart from all others is the manner in which it was created. This entire game was made by one japanese guy who goes by the name of Pixel. Written, designed, composed, created, perfected. Took him 5 years. And when he was finally done, you know what he did? Put it on the internet for free, so all other people who love games could download it and play it. After it's japanese release, two americans who loved the game so much took a year translating/transcribing it into english, so now it's basically available for most of the world to play. These people are far better human beings than I could ever be. Recently, the popularity of this free 'indie game' got so high that Pixel got to sign with WiiWare and the game is now available for download on the Wii's virtual console.

Moral / TL;DR - If you find yourself bored one day, download this game, patch it into english, and give it a play through. It's fuckin great. Seriously.

GM Fright
Officer

why don't you just marry it. gosh.

WoW is the only game I play. In the past, though, I'd say my favorites have been Diablo II, Final Fantasy 10, Command and Conquer Red Alert, Chrono Trigger, and definitely Earthbound. Bigtime Earthbound fan.

I think those were in reverse chronological order, more or less.

Really I loved just about any SNES RPG, like Super Mario RPG, and a couple others that I've forgotten their names. I played them like crack.

chronotrigger, mario, diablo series and Warcraft series

“I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m outta control, and at times a little hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst; Than you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.” Marilyn Monroe
hanieko

GM Fright wrote:
why don't you just marry it. gosh.

WoW is the only game I play. In the past, though, I'd say my favorites have been Diablo II, Final Fantasy 10, Command and Conquer Red Alert, Chrono Trigger, and definitely Earthbound. Bigtime Earthbound fan.

I think those were in reverse chronological order, more or less.

Really I loved just about any SNES RPG, like Super Mario RPG, and a couple others that I've forgotten their names. I played them like crack.

u misses luner the sivermoon was for saga then remade on ps. the story was changed some from the saga but i have to say 1 of the top games.

Donkey Kong Country (1, 2 and 3)
Max Payne
Deus Ex

To burn a thousand trees
Junkr
Friend

Rangik wrote:

u misses luner the sivermoon was for saga then remade on ps. the story was changed some from the saga but i have to say 1 of the top games.

I know what you were getting at, amazingly. Lunar: The Silver Star // Lunar: Silver Star Story complete, being on Sega CD/PS1, respectively. And yes, those are awesome games. The sequal, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, which also came out for both systems, happens to be my favorite RPG ever. The company that makes those games is no longer around, much to my sadness, but they produced many of my favorite games and were true to their fanbase until the very end.

Frightening wrote:

This. Yep.

hanieko

Junkr wrote:
Rangik wrote:

I know what you were getting at, amazingly. Lunar: The Silver Star // Lunar: Silver Star Story complete, being on Sega CD/PS1, respectively. And yes, those are awesome games. The sequal, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, which also came out for both systems, happens to be my favorite RPG ever. The company that makes those games is no longer around, much to my sadness, but they produced many of my favorite games and were true to their fanbase until the very end.

Frightening wrote:

This. Yep.

they both were top of the gaming world then with the story line and all the screen cuts. i wish i had the saga 1s but only have the ps1s now.

Ah geez, speaking of PS1 (which I never actually owned), I forgot my favorite RPG and maybe my favorite game of all time. Xenogears.

Fucking Tits. Xenogears.

Thief 1: The Dark Ages
Thief 2: The Metal Age
Starcraft (1 and 2)
BioShock

BioShock and SCII are the only two games that I've actually completed since I started playing WoW, I really don't play much else anymore.
Verjil

Pretty much anything with "The Legend of Zelda" in front of it is pure win.

i also loved Mario RPG and Chronotrigger, but i think my fav game of all time is still "Secret of Mana" for the SNES. its available on the Wii console if you have that. I highly suggest downloading it and playing it. its so much fun!

p.s. i saw the actual game cartridge in a game store the other day and it was $90. holy shit
Abscynth
Raider

Goldeneye for the N64. Best. Game. Ever.
hanieko

GM Fright wrote:
Ah geez, speaking of PS1 (which I never actually owned), I forgot my favorite RPG and maybe my favorite game of all time. Xenogears.

Fucking Tits. Xenogears.

hell yes have it beat many time love it.

Abscynth wrote:
Goldeneye for the N64. Best. Game. Ever.

all i got to say paintball/ dk mode.

Terranigma for the SNES. We're retarded in the U.S.A. and it was never released here, but this game is a gem. The English translation really isn't that great either, but the game itself is sweet.

Same playstyle as Secret of Mana, just with a better story and more cool things to do.

The wise man speaks only of what he knows.

Yeetawh

...Spyro the Dragon.

...Crash Bandicoot.

.......Ecco the Dolphin. <- I don't think I've ever been past the second level-Fail

I'm kind of ashamed of myself.

And I am so terrible at Ecco, I don't understand why I like it at all.

I just fail.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: