Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> Am this most thing for are guild?!
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
GM Fright
Officer

re: History!

I've got this notebook on my desk where, among a few random notes, I keep track of everything having to do with WoW. I've been playing for over 5 years, and this notebook goes back to just over two of those years, to the very beginning of Wrath. I started flipping through it tonight, and it got me thinking about everything that's led us to where we are now.

I hate nostalgia in this game. Talking about "the good ole days" and "back when" is a dangerous and stupid path to take, and I won't do it. However, in this case, everything that's led up to now has very definitely sucked giant balls by comparison, so I thought, considering how much Banana likes stories, that I'd share this one with you guys from my perspective, in a not-too-detailed form, to give all you new folks a lesson in how this went.

The story of The Art of Ruin starts not long after I began playing WoW, which was around January of 2006. That next summer I joined an MC raiding guild, and that fall we cleared BWL and had started into Naxx. That's when my rogue looked like he does in my signature below. Then, when BC was released, the guild split, and eventually I became the GM. For over a year we barely held it together, and would have been considered a third rate progression guild at best (elaboration is a full other story). Finally, in the spring of 2008, I gave in, and when I threw in the towel, the rest of the guild did, too, and the original Art of Ruin was disbanded.

After a short stent healing on another server on my shaman, I ended up on Suramar as alliance with Toxx, my friend who had introduced me to the game. I leveled a bunch of different characters, but the warlock stuck, and a couple months before the end of BC he hit 70. Toxx had joined up with Absolution, and fairly new guild that had knocked the socks off some raiding, and just before Wrath was released, Toxx helped get me into Absolution, also. And that's where the real story, and the notes in my notebook, starts.

That was a very talented guild, and we had a great time. We blasted through Naxx, Malygos, and even Sarth3D pretty quickly, riding off the successes they had at the end of BC. My notebook shows my target dummy numbers for different specs; back then 3k DPS was really pushing it. After a few pages of gear choices and numbers and stuff, there's a Thorim strat written out. The Abso GMs/Raid Leaders, Trem, Anaar and Nisou, let me work out a different strat for the Thorim fight, and even step up and explain it a touch. It was the first "raid leading" I'd done in at least a year and a half (and I don't think I did very well). Then we stalled at Yogg.

From my perspective at the time, poor attendance killed Absolution, particularly on Yogg attempt nights. From what I'm told, it was GM/Officer burn out. I think one leads to the other, in any order. Either way, 25 man raiding was done. They had the plan to continue casually at 10 mans, but I, along with most others, wasn't very interested in that. I applied to Unreasonable, at the time the best Alliance guild, and second on the server. However, after a couple trial raids, I knew I did not enjoy their style at all, and I withdrew my app. By this time, most of the Absolution guys were reforming under the guild Resurgence on horde-side. So after a little while I came over and joined them well into the horrible Trial of the Crusader patch.

Unfortunately, Resurgence did not last very long, either. Just as the Icecrown patch was being released, the guild fell apart, and a few of us were left holding the pieces. Eaden/Cattleguard was given GM, and he made myself and Roshkanu officers. After a few weeks, Eaden passed GM over to me, and we were solidly pushing our way blindly into 10 man Icecrown, just for the sake of doing something. Anything.

That was right around November of 2009, and I've been at the head of this runaway train ever since. It was a very, very difficult beginning (elaboration is a full other story). We spent at least a month on 10 man Rotface alone, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have several conversations with the officers about disbanding the whole mess and walking away. But we stuck with it, we killed the abominations, and started working our way through the rest of the wings. In March of 2010, I decided we needed to re-energize the whole thing. There was a lot of "remember the old days?" and "man it sure was great when..." Like I mentioned at the start of this post, I hate that nostalgia crap. You don't move forward when you're always looking back. I realized that we needed a completely new guild, a new website, a new everything. The name Resurgence was too closely tied to everything that came before.

So I took suggestions for a new guild name from the 12-15 members of the guild at that time. I tossed in 3 or 4 of my own, and we ended up with about 12 names to start off with. Some of my favorites were Voodoo Economics, Mannequin Republic, and Red Alibi. After the first round of voting, we had 3 finalists: Arsenal, Archetype, and The Art of Ruin. Another round of voting (through in-game mail) and AoR beat out Arsenal by one vote. So we had a new name.

At the beginning of April we switched over to the new guild, and I got this website and the new vent server set up. If you look deep into the News forum, you'll see the very first post made on April 2nd, titled "Welcome to The Art of Ruin!" Within a couple months of this, we had pushed through the rest of ICC and were attempting 10m Arthas.

About the time that we became AoR, Tremurr, the mastermind behind Absolution and Resurgence, came back onto the scene. He decided to put together another 10m guild, as guild building is an extreme talent of his, with the eventual goal of joining with us to restart 25 man raiding. As restarting 25 mans had been our goal and entire reason for continuing to raid for the previous 5 months, we helped in whatever ways we could. Then, in June, after an incredibly difficult and painful process, we finally realized that goal, and became the 25 man AoR that we are today (elaboration is a full other soap opera).

The names of the raiders in our very first 25 man raid are written in my notebook. Out of those 25, only 6 are still around: Azakel, Masticus, Junkr, Banana, Aarroun, and myself. Though a few, vrulg, savallia, and abs, aren't entirely gone. However, three months later, the members of another raid are in my notebook, and 20 of those 25 are still with us, a very big difference. The first several months of 25 man raiding were extraordinarily volatile. Tremurr, my co-GM at the start of the 25 man raids, parted ways with us a couple months after forming, and we sent more than a few sub-par raiders packing, taking great pains to ensure the level of standards in this guild were higher than in any of our guilds past.

The rest of my notebook is filled with boss strategies, wait lists, DKP fixes and manual attendance records. We've had our share of difficult times, but the habits and loyalty we've formed along the way keep pushing us forward to bigger and better things. And the rest, as they say, is history!

I was in a 10man guild at the time, damn i forgot the name. We were progressing pretty well but got stuck on a couple of end wing bosses before drama falls upon us. Gm and officer burnt out/people started to leave, so i decided to find a new "home". i was looking through suramar forums and stumbled upon Tremurr's post. Luck was on my side cause an in-game friend of mine Jaede was already in Absolution(version 2, 10man) i manage to get in raid with them and without a guild tag, i was recruited as their dk dps wasnt on at raid times and when he was on, he doesnt want to raid.

So Absolution version 2 was a pretty good guild. The core was made up of Absolution version people. so the raiders are pretty solid. we manage to get to LK before the mention of merge with this other guild. Being the new guy in this circle of old friends, i was worried about my spot. i was worried about Fright too cause i was told he was a scary dude. i was both excited and yet afraid of this merge, but i love raiding. so we merge.

First couple of weeks of merging, things was really different then it is now. there was like two different groups of people. the gchat has like no one talking even if we got 10+ people on. so i decided to "break" the ice and started saying hello to everyone that log on. do a couple of random whisper to get to know some of my newer guildies. the guild website have like only a couple of post and nothing to troll on. But although we are strangers in some ways, the motivation to kill bosses in raid is very high. just like how we are now.

Vote for sticky; guild history.

The Ulduar story should also be stickied.

Also, <3.

To burn a thousand trees
GM Fright
Officer

Bananashroom wrote:
i was worried about Fright too cause i was told he was a scary dude.

I kill kittens in my free time.

GM Fright wrote:
I kill healers in my free time.

^fixt
kaasi
Friend

ah history, i remember when i was the only shaman in the guild

Masticrom

Sometime later if you dont mind Fright, i'd like to add where Sav and I come from as well.
Lydecker Lies
Friend

bumping this because i like it

To burn a thousand trees
Junkr
Friend

Banana's post is classic social victory.

This is a great post to bump, I'd be willing to bet that not very many people know how far back this guild's origins really go.

Though they are completely separate aspects now, our guild would not have existed if it weren't for Tremurr's original "Absolution" on alliance side, so that's why I feel like I have to pay homage to those origins in my recruitment posts (...Well established guild with it's roots dating back to 2008). They taught me how to play the game correctly, and since I decided to make AoR my home my goal has been to do the same thing for as many up and coming raiders as I can.

Also, though I was also an original member of the first absolution, I have the distinct pleasure of being one of only two people that were recruited to "The Art of Ruin" while it was only a 10man guild. The other is a prot pally named Parhadox, if any of you know him.

Junkr
Friend

Looking through our entire recruitment history, there were some interesting points of note:

-We actually declined a former midnight member. Dayum. (For those of you who don't know, Midnight was the former bad-motherfucker of a guild on our server, competing in the top 50 US rankings throughout much of BC and early Wrath.)

-Our first declined app was a DK named dellaria, who I remember also being very good. Now they are gone.

-Kaasi, Siletense, Amminidab, and Kugolo (former hunter) all apped at around the same time. Truthfully, I said no to every single one of them. Good thing no one pays any attention to me.

-We had a ret pally app xfer over to us from alliance, do an entire night of lich king attempts, and then xfer back over to alliance the next day to join The Death Knights.

-Nebster applied to the guild. LOL.

-Out of every single private app we've ever had, Dankush is the only one still in the guild.

-We almost didn't take Sterne. Then when we took him, he almost got kicked from the guild in his first couple weeks. He slowly became what he is now - our 6th best tank.

-We go through healers like no guild has before.

Lydecker Lies
Friend

I heard you guys were prepared to take Chrisyamyst over me when we both app'd. We were good friends back then, I remember us talking about both getting in and raiding together again, it was fun. However, even though I believed I was a better player, my app was sooo much worse (it sucked balls, you can go check it out; there's no way I'd get in today). So I would not be here today if he hadn't withdrawn his application.

I think that, had you guys decided a little earlier, he would not have transferred servers and we would still be in touch, though I would probably be in a much worse guild. He was a good enough guy to say something nice about me before withdrawing and leaving.

I also find the fact funny, because Warlock applications are so hard to come by, and you guys got two back to back and had to choose one. It's possible that, had you taken in both, we would have a good number of Warlocks today... Heh.

Oh well...

To burn a thousand trees
Sterne1140
Raider

7th best tank, I got a promotion.

GM Fright in Lydecker's applicant discussion thread wrote:
I'm pretty sure Chrisyamyst is a dude named Gary.

Also, he has guild hopped quite a bit since we cut him from Resurgence 7 or 8 months ago. Lydecker did contact me, asked me if there was any word on his app yet. Chrisy sent me a fucking 7 page in-game letter telling me all the reasons he's so much better now than back then, and how great I am as THE lock, and other bullshit like that. It was wierd. I wouldn't be surprised if his numbers are great, but he just strikes me as a needy and crazy personality.

I'd like to maybe trial this Lydecker guy, unless there really was some douchebag stuff being said in general chat the other day. In that case, fuck him. Chrisy's guild hopping tendancies causes me to worry.

Very nice history right there.
Amminidabtree

I remember that Poupalos, or however you say it, was the guy who really got myself, Siletense, and Kugolo in the guild because we had raided with him before when we were in TDK.

Kaasi pretty much had a solid raid spot being an enhancement shaman and the guild didn't have many shamans. I applied as resto but there was already Donatall and some other druid who I don't remember. There was that one feral druid, Roshkanu, who was way better than Sile, and there were already a few hunters. Also, the three of us were only like 16 years old or something.

So as much as I really didn't like Poup, many thanks to him for getting me into this great guild.

Also, I raided as restoration since BC, but I only casually raided Karazhan and maybe tried a few other places. I've been playing moonkin since ICC because Fright told me to gear up balance as my main spec, but I find it more enjoyable than healing since Fright likes to yell at healers.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: