Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Art of Ruin Forum Index -> Am this most thing for are guild?!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pex1

re: New Graphics card!

So, I logged in last night ready to raid, at approx 8:40 (eastern) 3 of my 4 monitors froze and distorted, the 4th shut off completely. I run 4x 26" Monitors, so you can imagine how scary it was. I took my computer apart to find my Cards fried. Turns out that my 2000W Power supply was feeding them too much voltage, and over the last month or so it's been destroying parts of my cards. At least that is my friends assessment (Cooling system is still fully operational), I'm currently only running one monitor on the on-board graphics card, so I can't play wow until I replace the broken ones.

I had 4x GeForce GTX 295, to replace these I think would cost $1000 (refurbished) and I can't seem to find any New ones.

If I want to Upgrade to 4x GeForce GTX 580 it would cost me $2100(EVGA)

If I want to Upgrade to 4x GeForce GTX 590 it would cost me $3000(ASUS)

Going off of Nvidia's website, Compared to the GTX 295 I would experience a 50% Better performance with the GTX 590 and only a 20% increase with the GTX 580.

Do you guys think its worth the extra $900 for The extra performance?

Check the cards out for yourself, I'm probably going to decide by tomorrow, so I can have them before Monday's raid.

GeForce GTX 580
GeForce GTX 590
Masticrom

Hey guess what some of us poor ppl use one monitor to raid. Get one graphics card and get ur ass back to raiding with us. Btw I include myself as one of these poor ppl
Bananashroom

seriously 4? who are you? swifty? guess its either go big or go home. if you can fork out another 900 for something better why not? go connect it to a projector or 72 inch tv.

ps i dont anything about computers

If you have the means to spend an additional 900, then you might as well. But if you're going to burn that extra cash make sure its a graphics card you'll get a lot of use out of. I don't think I'd spend about another thousand if I was planning on replacing it in a year or so anyway.

Well, I originally got the GTX 295 in early 2009, so its lasted me a few years. I changed out my power source since then, but nothing else. So pretty soon other things might start going bad, most of the computer components are from 2007, so who knows how long I have left on those. I figure that these cards will be obsolete in a few months (as it is with any tech) so maybe its better to get the GTX580, save some money for other projects (I need new wheels on my car!).

I use 4 monitors because I like to do multiple things, When I'm raiding I monitor my core temp, graphic card temps and other processes on one screen, have youtube running on another screen and maybe facebook on another. While I'm leveling or doing dungeons I play other games on my other screens, sometimes ill play SC2, runescape and Facebook while I'm leveling, just to keep me busy.
Yeetawh

I use an HP laptop. With a bad built in graphics card. Sometimes I can leave up facebook while I play. One time I tried to hook up the spare monitor we had at the house so I could watch movies while I leveled. That didn't go over well.

How about you save the 900 bucks and build me a better computer?

get 3 more monitors

edit: That's what you use the 4 monitors for? I know its common for graphic design and coding to use multiple monitors but that seems excessive. To each his own though.
Sterne1140
Raider

Unless you are running a high end 3D game on each monitor with settings to max there is zero reason to have a dedicated card for each monitor. Almost all 3D card nowadays are multiple monitor capable. Google "multi/dual boxing." There is tons of info on multiple monitor setups that work very well and cost allot less than what you are thinking. Most dual boxers run 2 monitors off one card.

I used to multibox back in the day, I still have 3 other accounts with 70 shamans, it was fun. I also code for my dads company when I have spare time (which is almost never anymore) I went out and spent $200 on a GTX 460, which should work for at least two monitors (according to Geek Squad >_>)

the cards I used to have only had 1 PCI-E slot in them, and that was it, these new ones look like that as long as I have the right adapter I could get away with 1? which would make it cost a shit ton less. Although I'm wondering, wouldn't it run up the temp if I only used 1 card?
Griiiiiiimmer
Friend

okay, that makes more sense to me than needing it to run facebook and youtube : |
Sterne1140
Raider

Unless you are running high end graphics on both monitors, I wouldn't worry to much about the heat. Keep a temp gauge up on the second monitor to keep an eye on it. You can always add case fans as well. Cheap and easy to install.

Jump to: